Tuesday, January 19, 2010
This was my Grandmother's favorite cake and has become our number one "company" dessert. It is especially good served with hot or cold apple cider.
Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter
2 cups all purpose flour*
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
3/4 tsp ginger
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tbsp vinegar
1 8oz package cream cheese
1/2 stick butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar pecan halves (optional)
1) Grease and flour two 9" cake pans. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
2) Combine milk and vinegar and let sit.
3) Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and mix well. Beat in eggs one at a time.
4) Alternately add dry ingredients and milk to butter mixture, mixing well.
5) Pour into prepared pans and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
1) Beat butter and cream cheese on med speed until smooth
2) Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until well combined. Place first cake layer on plate and frost top. Top with second cake layer and frost top only. Decorate top with pecans halves if desired.
* to make this cake gluten free, use 1/2 cup potato starch, 1.5 cups rice flour and 1 tsp xanthan gum instead of all purpose flour